Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Recipe Time! Huli Huli Chicken

It's Memorial Day Weekend (almost) or, as we refer to it around the house, grillin' time (we never call it that). In honor of the men and women who have honorably served (and continue to serve) our country, I offer up a marinade. I know it's not much, but I offer it with feeling.

This is my version of a Hawaiian marinade often accompanied by small children on the side of the road calling out the best sales pitch I've ever hear: "Huli Huli Chicken...Buy it!" It has just under 700 ingredients, but most you will find around your home. Just check outside, under the rocks and moss.

Huli Huli Chicken

1 Whole, Cut-Up Chicken plus 6 Legs (or Equivalent)
1/3 C. ketchup
1/3 C. soy sauce (regular sodium)
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. sherry
1/4 C. honey
2 t. minced ginger root
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 t. Worchestershire sauce
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. sesame oil (not toasted)
1 t. Sriracha (optional or to taste - this is a Thai hot sauce)

Whisk together all ingredients except chicken. Reserve 1/2 C. and add chicken to remainder. Marinate at least 1/2 hour. Grill, brushing on reserved marinade. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's better when all ingredients *including chicken* are whisked together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what kind of post-apocalyptic whisk you have, but mine isn't meant for that.

    ReplyDelete