Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

NO GO ON NaNo

I'm not going to participate in NaNoWriMo this year. My active and backlogged projects just aren't going to line up with the Nano timeline. And who do I have to thank for that? Why, NaNo, of course.

I completed my first novel thanks to NaNo several years ago. I was astounded, both that I could actually write an entire novel and that I wanted to do it again. And again. And again. NaNo opened the door to a supportive writing community but it also opened up something inside of me, an amalgamation of confidence and ambition, delight and resolve.

Since I first participated in NaNo, I've:

  • Finished and edited two novels, and I'm about to finish Draft One of another
  • Started and temporarily shelved one novel
  • Finished and sold one novella
  • Finished five short stories, one of which has sold, two of which are currently making submission rounds
  • Finished one flash fiction piece, which is making submission rounds
  • Engaged with five excellent beta readers
  • Partnered with a literary agent
None of this would have been possible without that first NaNo. So, no, I'm not participating in this particular campaign. But I am, year-round, using the energy and drive I learned during that first manic month. And I'll be rooting for all this year's participants. Good luck. Have fun. And don't forget to shower and stand up and move every once in awhile. 

6 comments:

  1. Aww, that's a great attitude and a fantastic list of accomplishments. I'm signed up and saying I'm gonna do it but I have soo many projects that need attention, it's gonna be tough. I haven't even finished last year's NaNo novel, though I got past 50k on it. My NaNo plan is to FINISH it and another in process project then with any remaining words, start a new YA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is anything wrong with wrapping yourself in the enthusiasm and positive camaraderie and using it to accomplish personalized goals. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shower? SHOWER?!? I have but one thing to say: SHOWER IS NO GO ON NANO.

    Also, that's a fantastic list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You...you know it's an entire month, right Claudie? :)

    And thank you. I continue to work to build it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NaNo has been a great way to get energized by the community of online writers, and like you I am glad I've been involved. I'm diving in again this year, ready to see what I can produce on a new idea. I'm in the process of editing a novel, and this is the perfect time for an extended break to give myself a little distance from the process. Or at least that's what I've been telling myself ... :) Good luck with your projects!
    One Writer's Mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, J.A. I'm about due for a "break" myself. Giving myself a week to tinker with a trunked novel, then it's back to my regularly-scheduled grind. Best of luck to you, too!

    ReplyDelete