I completed my first novel thanks to NaNo several years ago. I was astounded, both that I could actually write an entire novel and that I wanted to do it again. And again. And again. NaNo opened the door to a supportive writing community but it also opened up something inside of me, an amalgamation of confidence and ambition, delight and resolve.
Since I first participated in NaNo, I've:
- Finished and edited two novels, and I'm about to finish Draft One of another
- Started and temporarily shelved one novel
- Finished and sold one novella
- Finished five short stories, one of which has sold, two of which are currently making submission rounds
- Finished one flash fiction piece, which is making submission rounds
- Engaged with five excellent beta readers
- Partnered with a literary agent
None of this would have been possible without that first NaNo. So, no, I'm not participating in this particular campaign. But I am, year-round, using the energy and drive I learned during that first manic month. And I'll be rooting for all this year's participants. Good luck. Have fun. And don't forget to shower and stand up and move every once in awhile.