Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Impudent Hatchlings Strike Again

The Impudent Hatchlings have formed a mob and attacked. Relentlessly. Maybe I'm out of practice at fending them off, or the repellent I've been using for most of the last year has finally lost its efficacy. I really don't know.

I do know that I'm being pulled in multiple directions in REAL LIFE, and being pushed into strange and unique worlds inside my head. Don't worry, it's not a clinical problem. They're just ideas and I know that they are just ideas, and that's why I'm allowed to remain on the streets (not literally - as I write this I am inside of a home that the bank lets me stay in).

I'm querying a manuscript which, of course, I thought was quite good (not to mention done) when I sent it out, but now I'm a hand-wringing, lip-chewing mess. If you haven't ever gone to war or lived through a plane crash a la LOST and want to find out what you're made of, try querying a novel. It's enlightening, to say the least.

I'm also revising a short story with the intention of submitting it, waiting on another ss that's been short-listed for over a month and in a holding pattern for an ss that was accepted for an anthology, for which I don't yet know the publication details. Also, I've outlined a sequel to the ms being queried and am somewhere in the middle of a rewrite for a partially-written ms in a genre I have been having some trouble with (It's a romance for God's sake and, if you look at my last post, you'll see that I don't do well with romance. Oh wait, that's fiction and totally not at all based on my own "issues").

But all that's neither here nor there. The mob, the swarm, the murder, the flock which has descended upon me is none of those things. It's a batch of other people and places, a YA novel I conceived of six months ago but never got sufficiently enthusiastic about, a very short story of the horror genre, and another short story that blinks in and out of my head like some kind of strobe that I can't ever quite focus on. I'm beginning to feel a bit Harrison Bergeron with the mental interruptions programmed for maximum inefficiency.

Anyway, what great ideas or submerged pods of notions are after you these days, and do you think you can tame them?

No comments:

Post a Comment