Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What Ails Ya?

I just got a new chair for my workspace, and I'm very excited. Admittedly, I haven't yet assembled it and it is obnoxiously ugly. I'm shorter than the average woman, and most office furniture is made with the average person in mind, so I'll take what I can get. Anything to alleviate the Knot of Fury that lives above my right shoulder blade.

I also got a new bulletin board so that I can gratuitously rip pages out of first edition books and hang them like trophies tack up inspirational artwork and writing mantras.

Once I get my new curtains hung, my little work space will be, as Goldilocks said, just right, sucka. At least, I think that was her.

So, in a tribute to home work spaces, I give you: OSHA. I know, awesome, right? This blog is down with all the hip, urban trends. Actually, they have some good tips on setting up a healthy workspace, and most writers I know at least occasionally complain about aches, pains, migraines, numbness, nose bleeds, night sweats, and difficulty urinating. Some of it might even be related to their work space.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was just skimming through the AW blog chain and followed a link to you... Had to leave a comment. :)
    You mean to say that the reason the space between the back of my neck and my right shoulder is killing me is because I'm short?! Why didn't I think of using a different chair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, Are you right-handed? If so, it's also your mouse hand, so if you're like me, you're probably extending it unsupported a lot. A comfy, supportive chair helps a lot. I'm off to put mine together!

    ReplyDelete