So, in case you've been looking for tips on how to speed up your vacation preparation, below are a few of the most important things:
- Always have quart-size bags on hand. Clear, preferably freezer bags.
- Check your supply of medications/contacts/other stuff you can't buy where you're going 10 days prior to departure. If you're low or out, order that day.
- Check whether the Rottweilers you'll be filling your house with while away have any allergies at least 5 days prior to departure. That will give you enough time to move things offsite or fumigate.
- Count your children, if you're taking them with you. Memorize that number 3 days prior to departure.
- Ask the postal service to hold your mail, or the paper deliverer to hold the paper 2 days prior to departure. Charge everything: MP3 players, cameras, everything. Pack the charge cords now. Otherwise they will disappear or inexplicably stop fitting your devices the day of flight, guaranteed.
- Print out all tickets, reservations, maps you might need 1 day prior to departure. If traveling abroad, note the locations and contact information for your embassy. If you are a fugitive, make sure your destination is still a non-extradition territory.
- Pick up the Rotties and concertina wire the day of departure, unless you are leaving very early. Then assemble your vacation-proofing materials the day before. Remember kibble and/or those massive gloves for running C-wire.
- Pack one outfit for every day of your trip, up to five. After that, you can repeat. You'll never need as many pairs of shoes as you think, and you'll always need more underwear.
- Have fun!