Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

STRANGE THINGS DONE

There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold.
The arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold.


This quote is the opening of one of my favorite poems growing up: "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service. It was about my home state of Alaska, contained eerie imagery, and, because it told an engaging story, was easy for me to memorize. I didn't, as a child, know that four hours of twilight did not constitute a day. I understood nothing about circadian rhythms or seasonal affective disorder. I didn't know that long Alaskan winters can drive a person mad.

I believe, now, that they can. I even have documentation. This, dear friends, is 
what happens when you give an Alaskan a short reprieve in a temperate locale 
in the middle of winter:






She buys a cowboy hat (which makes her deliriously happy). *






And she runs all over town posing for country music album covers.


*Giant, metal horse optional

5 comments:

  1. LOL excellent. I have a hat just like that. Pretty sure it's impossible to be in a bad mood while wearing a cowboy hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...The northern lights have seen queer sights
    But the queerest they ever did see
    Was that night on the marge
    Of Lake LeBarge
    I cremated Sam McGee

    Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee
    Where the cotton blooms and blows
    Why he left his home in the south to roam
    'Round the pole, God only knows
    He was always cold but that land of gold
    Seemed to hold him like a spell
    Though he'd often say in his homely way
    That he'd sooner live in Hell...


    From memory. Had to memorize the poem for a speech class in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, wait, wait. A giant metal horse should never be optional. It should *totally* be mandatory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, Ace!

    It's the perfect plus-one, Margo! LOL.

    ReplyDelete